Building Division

The Building Division for the City of Newcastle administers permit and code enforcement activities. This includes any work for both new and existing structures and covers those items mentioned under, "What Requires a Permit". The staff members of this division include the Building Official, Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer and Permit Coordinator.

Code enforcement officers are tasked with the enforcement of the Newcastle Municipal Code (NMC) as adopted by the City Council, city standards and other universal codes and standards.

The goals of this division are to provide thorough and accurate inspections within a 24 hour turnaround time, excellent customer service and a staff that is well trained and equipped to serve the needs of the citizens and customers.

I'm making repairs or improvements to my home. Do I need a permit?

Many homeowners are not aware that permits are required for specific repair or home improvement projects. Common repair or improvement projects that require permits include:

  • Re-roofing*
  • Furnace Replacement
  • Back-up Generators
  • Decks (New, Replacing, or Repairing)*
  • Water Heater Replacement
  • Air Conditioner Installation
  • Irrigation Systems

*Some exemptions apply - see permit requirements

If you or your contractor has a question about the permit requirements, please don’t hesitate to call. Penalties apply for working without a permit.

Building Department: 425-649-4444

How do I schedule an inspection?

All inspection requests are to be made online through MyBuildingPermit at

Please use the link and follow the instructions below.

To schedule/ request an inspection:

  • Ensure the work is completed before the inspection is requested. There will not be availability to cancel on the same day, and you may not call the inspector directly to do so. It is the sole role and responsibility of those requesting inspections to ensure the work is complete in advance of the inspection request.
  • Go to and select the inspection request option;
  • Select Newcastle from the list of cities;
  • Enter the permit number in the search bar - not the address;
  • Find the inspection(s) you would like to request from the list available for your permit;
  • Select the date desired for the inspections you need and identify whether you would like them during an a.m. or p.m. window;
  • Do not select dates or window for any inspections listed except those for which you are currently ready and need completed. Selecting dates or windows for additional inspections will clear them from your list and make them unavailable to schedule in the future;
  • Fill out the name, phone, and email box at the bottom. Email is required for Newcastle since it is how you will receive your electronic "Fail" card should your inspection fail.
  • In the remarks section you must include the lot number in addition to any other notes you may want to give to the inspector. Please ensure the lot number is entered first following any notes you have.

What to do if you do not see the inspection you need to request:

  • If you do not see the inspection you are trying to request, do not choose a different one, and note the one you want in the remarks. This will result in a fail for the inspection you picked and the one you want not getting scheduled.
  • You must email Permit at [email protected]
  • In the subject line, please note, "URGENT INSPECTION MISSING";
  • In the body of the email, please include the inspection you needed to be made available online and the permit number. We will make the inspection available and advise you to go online to request it.
  • You may also call Ash at (425) 386-4103 and leave a voicemail. However, email is the preferred and most effective method of contact, [email protected] 

What to do if you need to cancel an inspection:

  • You may reschedule/ cancel an inspection online prior to 5 p.m. the day before your inspection request date. Because all work is required to be completed prior to inspection scheduling, 100% of inspections canceled due to work not complete will result in a fail, and second fails will result in a fine of $110.00
  • Do not call the inspector to cancel on the scheduled date of inspection.

What to do if you are having technical issues with MyBuildingPermit:

  • You must call and contact MBP directly to resolve any technical or access issues in regards to the online requesting. They have assistance information listed on the site and are extremely responsive.

Who do I contact about asbestos information or notification?

The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency handles asbestos information.
Find more information on this webpage: or call 206-689-4058.

Who do I contact about sewer and water connections or fees?

Sewer and water in the city is provided by the Coal Creek Utility District. Go to or call 425-235-9200. 

Who do I contact about electrical permits?

Electrical permits and inspections are handled by the Department of Labor & Industries. Visit their website at or call 425-990-1400.

Building Permit Website

City of Newcastle | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2022 Intrado Corporation.