Citizen Action Requests Online or On the Go!
SeeClickFix appUse SeeClickFix to report non-emergency issues in the City of Newcastle. 

SeeClickFix should only be used for reporting non-emergency issues such as potholes, vandalism, graffiti, tree concerns, street and sidewalk issues and abandoned vehicles. If you have an emergency, please call 911 immediately.

Download the SeeClickFix app for Apple or Android devices:

Download SeeClickFix on App StoreDownload SeeClickFix on Google Play

Or, begin a report online:

Report Other Issues
SeeClickFix is not meant to accommodate reporting for all types of incidents. Click on the arrows below to learn how to correctly report common issues.

Police Emergencies

In order to take the most accurate information and provide the best response, Newcastle Police Officers must take information about crime either over the phone or in person. This allows us to ask follow up questions that may be necessary for investigations.

To report a crime or suspicious activity:
Emergency: 911
Non-Emergency: 206-296-3311
Online Reporting:
Anonymous Tips:

The call receiver will either have an officer dispatched to your location or take a report over the telephone if possible. If you prefer, you may always have an officer respond to your location in Newcastle rather than filing a report over the telephone.

Hazardous Spill or Flooding Concern

If you need to report a hazardous spill or urgent matter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call 206-296-3311.

To report a non-hazardous spill during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.), call 425-649-4444. On evenings and weekends call 206-296-3311

For drainage concerns or other water quality concerns, submit the issue above in the SeeClickFix app.

Animal Concerns

Animal Control Response in Newcastle
The City of Newcastle is a part of Regional Animal Services of King County or RASKC. RASKC provides a 24-hour public safety response to dangerous animals, loose livestock on public roadways, as well as incidents involving animal injury and abuse. RASKC responds to non-emergency calls seven days a week between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Call 206-296-7387 (PETS).

Animal Control Officers conduct investigations, enforce state and local laws related to animals, and educate the public about animal welfare, restraint and licensing. You can file animal complaints and animal noise complaints online at this RASKC Animal Control Response website.

Wild Animals in Your Neighborhood
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) responds to situations where the animal is posing an urgent human safety concern. Call WDFW at 1-877-933-9847 to provide a non-emergency dangerous wildlife complaint. Call 911 immediately for an emergency wildlife situation.

In-depth information about wildlife and interactions with animals can be found on WDFW's Living with Wildlife web page.

Missed Waste Collection

Newcastle residents have weekly collection for garbage and every-other-week collection for recycling. If your container(s) were at the curb by 6:00 am and were not emptied by 6:00 pm, please report a missed collection directly to Waste Management by clicking here or call 1 800 592-9995 (Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.).

Power Outage

Do not call 911 if your power is out, unless your safety is at risk. Instead, report the outage at or call 1-888-225-5773. Get up-to-date outage information, including restoration estimates, on the Puget Sound Energy outage map here.


If your property has been damaged or you have been injured and, in your opinion, the occurrence was due to negligence on the part of the City of Newcastle, a Claim for Damages form is required to be completed for the City to determine its level of responsibility to the claimant. 

Claim Form can be obtained in person at City Hall, 12835 Newcastle Way, Suite 200 or by contacting Jayne Westman, City Clerk/Human Resources Director at 425.386.4114.

The Claim for Damages form must be typed or legibly completed in ink, signed and filed with the Risk Management Office at City of Newcastle. Submit any available documents or evidence supporting your claim, such as photographs, invoices, receipts, proof of ownership, etc. If more space is needed, please attach a separate sheet to claim.

Claims adjusters representing its insurance carrier usually conduct investigations into Claims for Damages. You may be contacted by either Washington Cities Insurance Authority (WCIA) or Sedgewick Adjustment Services depending on the type of claim. 

Submittal of a Claim for Damages does not guarantee payment by the City or its insurance carriers. An investigation by a Claims Adjuster will be made into the incident to determine if the City has any liability as determined by applicable laws. If it is determined that the City has a responsibility to you, the amount of the claim payment is based on the level of City liability, the level of your liability (if any) and the depreciated value (not replacement value) of the property damaged.

Please contact Jayne Westman at 425.386.4114 if you have any questions in regards to the claims process.

City of Newcastle | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.